Serialize and Deserialize an N-ary Tree

R

It was asked in Microsoft.

It's similar to Serialize and Deserialize Binary Tree, but instead of binary tree, it's N-ary Tree.

• You have an in-memory tree data structure. each node can have multiple children (can be more than 2). it's not search or balanced

• You are sked to serialize it to a file so that you can deserialize it later with the same structure, node values can be any integers

Can a node has one child only?

Very interesting extension to the binary tree serialization/deserialization problem. Can you do it the BFS way? However you need to add some more information -- Probably how many children each node has (n), then follow by n nodes' values.

R

@1337c0d3r Of course, thanks for the suggestion.

R

@1337c0d3r Yes, it could range from 0 to N, I think the node structure could be something like:

class TreeNode(object):
         def __init__(self, x):
             self.val = x
             self.children = []

I think serializing the n-ary tree using BFS this way might work:

/ | \
         2  3  4
           / \  \
          5   6  7

can be serialized as:

1, 1, 3, 2, 3, 4, 0, 2, 5, 6, 1, 7

Deserializing it is easy. Here is the pseudocode:

1. Read node count size: 1
      1. Read one node: 1.
      2. Insert node 1 into queue.
    2. Read node count size: 3
      1. Read three nodes: 2, 3, 4
      2. Pop node 1 from queue (parent), and insert three nodes (2, 3, 4) as children.
      3. Insert 2, 3, 4 into queue.
    3. Read node count size: 0
      1. Pop node 2 from queue.
    4. Read node count size: 2
      1. Pop node 3 from queue, insert 2 nodes (5, 6) as children.
        ... and so on, you get the idea.

1337c0d3r, your approach is very good. I would like to suggest another one using DFS. The tree above could be serialized as :
    (1(2)(3(5)(6))(4(7)))
    Serialization :
    Depth first search of the tree. Each root is serialized as (root serialize(child1) serialize(child2) ...serialize(childn))
    Deserialization :

1. Read charcter.
      1.1 If it is ''(", new node is added to current parent in the tree. Push it to a stack. The newly inserted node becomes current parent.
      1.2 If it is '')", pop from the stack. Parent is updated.
      Here is code for serialization and deserialization
             public  TreeNode deserialize(StringBuilder in)  {
    		 TreeNode root = null;
    		 TreeNode parent = null;
    		 Stack<TreeNode> stack = new Stack<>();
    		 int pos = 0;
    		 while  (pos < in.length()) {
    			 if (in.charAt(pos) == '(')  {
                                    pos ++;
    				TreeNode node = new TreeNode(in.charAt(pos) -' 0');				
    				if (parent == null) 
    					root = node;			
    				else
    					parent.add(node);
    				stack.push(node) ;
    				parent = node;
    			 }
    			 else  if (in.charAt(pos) == ')')  {				
    				 stack.pop();
    				 if (!stack.isEmpty())
    					 parent = stack.peek();				
    			 }
    			 pos++;
    		 }
    		 return root;
               }	 

public void serialize(TreeNode root, StringBuilder out)  {
    		 if  (root != null)  {
    			 out.append('(');
    			 out.append(root.val);
    			 for  (TreeNode child : root.getChildren())  {
    				 serialize(child, out);
    			 }
    			 out.append(')');
    		 }		 
    	 }

@elmirap This is very nice. Using parentheses to group nodes is a natural recursive representation of trees. If I am not mistaken, the nested level is the same as the depth of the node in the tree.

Did you implement deserialize iteratively using explicit stack on first attempt? Why do you choose to go this route?

@1337c0d3r Here is a reccursive solution of deserialize .My first attempt actually.

TreeNode deserialize(StringBuilder in) {
    	 if  (0  <  in.length()) {			 
    	     if (in.charAt(0)  ==  '(') {
    		 in.deleteCharAt(0);
    		 TreeNode node = new TreeNode(in.charAt(0) - '0');
    		 in.deleteCharAt(0);
    		 while  (in.charAt(0)  !=  ')') {					 
    			 node.add(deserialize(in));	
    		 }		
    		 in.deleteCharAt(0);
    		 return node;
    		 }		 
    	  }
    	 return null;
     }

@elmirap I think it's pretty efficient. Mine is pretty much the same length as yours in 21 characters count. (You can ignore the first 1 because the root is implied 1 so we can skip the first two chars)

Not sure how we can do it shorter than that, I guess we can compress the string :)

@1337c0d3r Maybe your approach is more efficient when we have parents with a lot of children (1000000) on one level, you will write 1000 000 and 1000 000 commas, but I have to transfer 2 parentheses per child - 2 000 000 parentheses .

@elmirap Good catch! Yes you are right. By the way you avoid recursion in deserialize, is it because you want to iterate the string in order?

PS: It would be great if you can edit your post and edit the formatting of your code. It is kinda hard to read without it being formatted nicely.

@1337c0d3r , right, exactly. Recursion seemed to me a little complicated. Don't you think that none of both approaches have advantage in memory complexity?

@elmirap said in Serialize and Deserialize an N-ary Tree:

@1337c0d3r , right, exactly. Recursion seemed to me a little complicated. Don't you think that none of both approaches have advantage in memory complexity?

Not sure if I understood your question. Are you saying the space complexity of both BFS and DFS approaches are too high?

@elmirap said in Serialize and Deserialize an N-ary Tree:

@1337c0d3r Here is a reccursive solution of deserialize .My first attempt actually.

TreeNode deserialize(StringBuilder in) {
    	 if  (0  <  in.length()) {			 
    	     if (in.charAt(0)  ==  '(') {
    		 in.deleteCharAt(0);
    		 TreeNode node = new TreeNode(in.charAt(0) - '0');
    		 in.deleteCharAt(0);
    		 while  (in.charAt(0)  !=  ')') {					 
    			 node.add(deserialize(in));	
    		 }		
    		 in.deleteCharAt(0);
    		 return node;
    		 }		 
    	  }
    	 return null;
     }

By the way, something strange acting in this forum. When I click on the quote link in your post, it is quoting content that is not visible on your post. Is this an edited post of yours? Seems like a bug to me.

@1337c0d3r I mean that we don't save a lot of memory when we implement "deserialize" iteratively, we use stack to store states, it is the same in recursive approach

@elmirap I see, sure. The recursion and stack approach both uses the same memory, the former uses implicit stack while the latter uses explicit stack.

I edited my comment, because I wanted to insert recursive approach too and later you quaoted it. Maybe it is a bug. Also I have to wait 120 seconds to write new comment, seems that the system wants to protect itself from bots, but it prevents me too from wrting too much :-)

Haha, I relaxed the restriction to 10 seconds now, is it low enough to encourage to write more? Not to mention that you are a writer btw :)

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.