Java Standard Backtrace AC Solutoin, short and clear

C

This problem has a lot of edge cases to be considered:

1. overflow: we use a long type once it is larger than Integer.MAX_VALUE or minimum, we get over it.
    2. 0 sequence: because we can't have numbers with multiple digits started with zero, we have to deal with it too.
    3. a little trick is that we should save the value that is to be multiplied in the next recursion.

public class Solution {
        public List<String> addOperators(String num, int target) {
            List<String> rst = new ArrayList<String>();
            if(num == null || num.length() == 0) return rst;
            helper(rst, "", num, target, 0, 0, 0);
            return rst;
        }
        public void helper(List<String> rst, String path, String num, int target, int pos, long eval, long multed){
            if(pos == num.length()){
                if(target == eval)
                    rst.add(path);
                return;
            }
            for(int i = pos; i < num.length(); i++){
                if(i != pos && num.charAt(pos) == '0') break;
                long cur = Long.parseLong(num.substring(pos, i + 1));
                if(pos == 0){
                    helper(rst, path + cur, num, target, i + 1, cur, cur);
                }
                else{
                    helper(rst, path + "+" + cur, num, target, i + 1, eval + cur , cur);

helper(rst, path + "-" + cur, num, target, i + 1, eval -cur, -cur);

helper(rst, path + "*" + cur, num, target, i + 1, eval - multed + multed * cur, multed * cur );
                }
            }
        }
    }

Y
    This post is deleted!

Y

really nice solution! What i don't understand is why should we avoid overflow, because it is only expression。

C

good idea, i've modified it : )

C

because the input is a string so it may be a large number : ) for example if we got 9999999999, the program may want to try 9999999990 + 9,if we use int then it would overflow

S

Thank you for providing nice solution, I got one testcase can't pass: num = "1921474836681" and target = -2147483648, its expected answer is ["19-2147483668+1"], so maybe we only need to check the final eval is overflowed or not.

C

Yes, it's a very careful catch, thank you

C
    This post is deleted!

K

I am really curios to know how did you arrive at the equation of recursive expression for multiplication in the below line ?
    helper(rst, path + "*" + cur, num, target, i + 1, eval - multed + multed * cur, multed * cur );

I couldn't get this expression and as a result my solution became very lengthy :)

C

for example, if you have a sequence of 12345 and you have proceeded to 1 + 2 + 3, now your eval is 6 right? If you want to add a * between 3 and 4, you would take 3 as the digit to be multiplied, so you want to take it out from the existing eval. You have 1 + 2 + 3 * 4 and the eval now is (1 + 2 + 3) - 3 + (3 * 4). Hope this could help : )

L

Exactly the same idea and even the same code :)

A tiny thing is that when we get cur, I think we should check if(cur > (long)Integer.MAX_VALUE) break; , since the input may cause long overflow when num.substring(pos, i + 1) get longer (the OJ text cases do not contain such case though).

C
    This post is deleted!

C

Yes, it's a problem while im not sure whether setting Integer.MAX_VALUE as an upper bound is quite proper

L

yes, I think they should clarify the problem

D

Very nice solution. Could you pls explain how you handle the merge of two digits like
    '211' -> 22
    Solutions are 2*11 and 21+1. How does your code generate 11 and 21 here? (It does do it but I just cannot figure it out how :) )

Z

Nice solution, can you tell me what's the time complexity of this solution?

C

maybe it's O(4^n)

B
    This post is deleted!

B

I am having hard time understanding about following part.

eval - multed + multed * cur

Can you please elaborate on this.

H

Below statment is very important regarding the speed!

if(i != pos && num.charAt(pos) == '0') break;

I did some tests. If I use my below code to handle 0s case, then the running time will be 100ms slower!

long right1 = Long.valueOf(right.substring(0, i));
    if(!(right1 + "").equals(right.substring(0, i))) continue;

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.