Tricky 3-lines "fake" iterators, Python + Ruby

I call them "fake" because they copy the source data, which I think real iterators shouldn't do. They should iterate on the fly and on demand over the original data sources.

I precompute the whole list of zigzagged numbers and reverse it. Then to get the next number, I can just pop it off the end of the list (takes constant time, unlike popping off the front, which takes linear time).

Python:

Instead of defining next as usual, I just directly use the list's pop. And for hasNext, I use a closure. Together, this allows me to not even store the list myself.

class ZigzagIterator(object):
        def __init__(self, *v):
            v = [x for x in sum(map(None, *v), ()) if x > None][::-1]
            self.next = v.pop
            self.hasNext = lambda: bool(v)

(x is not None is the proper way, but I want this as short as I can here)

Using sum can be slow for large inputs (it isn't slow for the OJ's test cases), and this would be faster:

v = [x for v in map(None, *v) for x in v if x > None][::-1]

Ruby:

class ZigzagIterator

def initialize(v1, v2)
        @v = (v1 + [nil] * v2.size).zip(v2).flatten.compact.reverse
      end

def has_next
        !@v.empty?
      end

def next
        @v.pop
      end

end

I'm still a Ruby beginner and don't know whether I could do it like I did in Python. But it's still similar and three times one fairly short line.

Small variation for initialize:

@v = (v1 + v2.map{nil}).zip(v2).flatten.compact.reverse

Python grammar is really flexible!

Check out the new version, I replaced itertools.izip_longest with map :-)

Ahahahaha, now I also replaced v1, v2 with *v. Forgot that we can do that in Py2 already.

Also used sum and x > None. Overall this solution might now contain the most "tricks" I have ever used in a solution here.

Oh, now the code has more tricks... In fact, I even know very little about the usage of * in Python.

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.