Java with "escaping"

Double any hashes inside the strings, then use standalone hashes (surrounded by spaces) to mark string endings. For example:

{"abc", "def"}    =>  "abc # def # "
    {'abc', '#def'}   =>  "abc # ##def # "
    {'abc##', 'def'}  =>  "abc#### # def # "

For decoding, just do the reverse: First split at standalone hashes, then undo the doubling in each string.

public String encode(List<String> strs) {
        StringBuffer out = new StringBuffer();
        for (String s : strs)
            out.append(s.replace("#", "##")).append(" # ");
        return out.toString();
    }

public List<String> decode(String s) {
        List strs = new ArrayList();
        String[] array = s.split(" # ", -1);
        for (int i=0; i<array.length-1; ++i)
            strs.add(array[i].replace("##", "#"));
        return strs;
    }

Or with streaming:

public String encode(List<String> strs) {
        return strs.stream()
                   .map(s -> s.replace("#", "##") + " # ")
                   .collect(Collectors.joining());
    }

public List<String> decode(String s) {
        List strs = Stream.of(s.split(" # ", -1))
                          .map(t -> t.replace("##", "#"))
                          .collect(Collectors.toList());
        strs.remove(strs.size() - 1);
        return strs;
    }

R

Hi @StefanPochmann , this is a cool solution! Thanks for sharing!

But I don't exactly understand how you handle empty strings correctly. I mean I know what's happening but not exactly why. I looked up the documentation for what the limit argument to the split() method means, but don't exactly understand why you need to pass -1 here. Could you explain a bit please?

R

really like it!

S
    This post is deleted!

S

Hi @StefanPochmann , why does the code work in using " # ", but it doesn't work using " * "?

I

@StellaYue , first parameter of String.split() function is a regular expression, that's why '*' is treated as a special character.

@rohan99 I happened to have the some question on the split() method, and I looked up from the Java Docs.

From Document: If n is non-positive then the pattern will be applied as many times as possible and the array can have any length. If n is zero then the pattern will be applied as many times as possible, the array can have any length, and trailing empty strings will be discarded.

so I think you can pass in any negative number in split() method, then it will not discard empty strings.

Y

@tankztc what about input is NULL?What will split do at here? THX!

Q

@rohan99 That's because the default limit is 0, which would discard the trailing empty strings . It has to be a negative value. See here: http://www.geeksforgeeks.org/split-string-java-examples/

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.