2-liners in Ruby (or unclean 1-liner)

Order each triple nums[0..2], nums[2..4], etc starting at even indexes so that the first value in the triple is the minimum and the second is the maximum (after sort it's like [1,2,3], then rotate makes it [2,3,1], then reverse makes it [1,3,2]).

def wiggle_sort(nums)
      i = -2
      nums[i,3] = nums[i,3].sort.rotate.reverse while nums[i += 2]
    end

And a 1-liner, although it's not clean because it does return a value (namely 0). Can be made clean by explicitly returning nil (just write another line containing just "nil").

def wiggle_sort(nums)
      0.step(nums.size, 2) { |i| nums[i,3] = nums[i,3].sort.rotate.reverse }
    end

Nice observations of using "sort + rotate + reverse" :-)

Yeah, I'm glad I found a way :-). Although afterwards I realized that one can create any order of three elements just by using rotate and reverse:

[1, 2, 3]                  => [1, 2, 3]
    [1, 2, 3].rotate           => [2, 3, 1]
    [1, 2, 3].rotate.rotate    => [3, 1, 2]       same as [1, 2, 3].rotate(2)
    [1, 2, 3].rotate.reverse   => [1, 3, 2]
    [1, 2, 3].reverse          => [3, 2, 1]
    [1, 2, 3].reverse.rotate   => [2, 1, 3]

Haha, interesting! So this will generate all the permutations for an array of three elements :-)

Stefan, I just removed the nil check for ruby. Your ruby solution is now 1-liner :)

Haha, ok :-). I found that check reasonable, btw. I said that only neutrally, didn't mean that it should be changed. But I guess either way works.

J

Probably you can return nil in same line.

nil if 0.step(nums.size, 2) { |i| nums[i,3] = nums[i,3].sort.rotate.reverse }

Haha, I remember Stefan often use such if statements in his Python codes. @Stefan, are you satisfied with this one-liner :-)

Such an if-modifier doesn't even exist in Python :-)

Using it that way is interesting and I hadn't thought of it, but I like it less than appending && nil, which I had already decided against because it felt too forced/artificial... Now you made me reconsider that one :-D

J

Also like '&& nil' better - more straight to the point.

And don't feel too forced of using '&& nil'. Just it might be too fine print. 'nil &&' could be more specific. Either way, it's better than removing nil check for entire Ruby solutions. :)

nil &&? That doesn't work.

J

gerr, it won't work. Forgot right part will be short-circuited.

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.