Static DP, C++ 12 ms, Python 172 ms, Ruby 384 ms

There are so many "large" test cases that it's worthwhile to keep data between test cases rather than recomputing from scratch all the time. At least in the slower languages. My dp tells the numbers of squares needed for the first integers, and when asked about a new n, I extend dp just as much as necessary.

C++ ... 28 ms

int numSquares(int n) {
        static vector<int> dp {0};
        while (dp.size() <= n) {
            int m = dp.size(), squares = INT_MAX;
            for (int i=1; i*i<=m; ++i)
                squares = min(squares, dp[m-i*i] + 1);
            dp.push_back(squares);
        }
        return dp[n];
    }

C++ ... 12 ms

Switching the loops makes it less nice but faster:

int numSquares(int n) {
        int m = dp.size();
        dp.resize(max(m, n+1), INT_MAX);
        for (int i=1, i2; (i2 = i*i)<=n; ++i)
            for (int j=max(m, i2); j<=n; ++j)
                if (dp[j] > dp[j-i2] + 1)
                    dp[j] = dp[j-i2] + 1;
        return dp[n];
    }

Python ... 172 ms

class Solution(object):
        _dp = [0]
        def numSquares(self, n):
            dp = self._dp
            while len(dp) <= n:
                dp += min(dp[-i*i] for i in range(1, int(len(dp)**0.5+1))) + 1,
            return dp[n]

Ruby ... 384 ms

$dp = [0]
    def num_squares(n)
      $dp << (1..$dp.size**0.5).map { |i| $dp[-i*i] }.min + 1 until $dp[n]
      $dp[n]
    end

There's probably a cleaner way than using a global variable, but I'm new to Ruby and don't know one.

Hi, Stefan. I run your Python code on some examples but am still a little bit confused by the dp[-i*i]. Could you give some explanations of it?

It's the same algorithm as the first C++ solution. I compute the next value to append to dp, i.e., how many squares I need for the number len(dp). Python supports indexing from the end with negative indexes, so the already computed dp[-1] tells me how many squares I need for the previous number (1 smaller than the number I'm handling now), dp[-4] tells me how many squares I need for the number that's 4 smaller than the number I'm handling now, etc.

Does this make it clear?

W

Hi Stefan, so what your "static" here does is keeping some data between test cases, right?
    Just confused why static keyword can do this.

Hi, @Stefan. Thank you for your nice explanations. The indexing is really nice. I finally got it :-)

@wyc25013 Yes, the static keyword makes the variable keep its state between calls of the function (and it's only initialized once).

P

Hi Stefan.
    I want to ask a question. Why it costs 300+ ms when I write "vector<int> dp" not "static vector<int> dp". I don't know the reason.

F

It sounds reasonable to use a static variable to improve performance in this particular case. But, what if the scales of test cases are not in a monotonic increasing order?

I have tried to declare dp as local variable, and I received a time limit exceed at 8000+.

Hi, fanzonezy. Well, looking at Stefan's C++ code, if dp has already stored the value for the coming n, then the condition of the second for loop will always be false and so after the first for loop stops (without doing anything), the stored result is returned.

Hi, paladin. Stefan has answered this question in the above comment, cited below:

@wyc25013 Yes, the static keyword makes the variable keep its state between calls of the function (and it's only initialized once).

F

Oh, get it. Thank you

I had considered giving that one an if (m < n+1) test to avoid the unnecessary outer loop run, but decided against it because it didn't make it faster and added two lines and an indentation level. But maybe it would be better because it's clearer? Like this:

int numSquares(int n) {
        int m = dp.size();
        if (m < n+1) {
            dp.resize(n+1, INT_MAX);
            for (int i=1, i2; (i2 = i*i)<=n; ++i)
                for (int j=max(m, i2); j<=n; ++j)
                    if (dp[j] > dp[j-i2] + 1)
                        dp[j] = dp[j-i2] + 1;
        }
        return dp[n];
    }

S

ha, using static here was a brilliant idea :)

W

Hi, I met some problems
    Why my code run so slow when using DP? It costs almost 500ms.
    That will be great if you can answer my question.
    Thank you :)

int numSquares(int n) {
    vector<int> res(n+1,0);
    for(int i=1;i<=n;i++)
    {    
    res[i]=i;
        for(int j=1;j*j<=i;j++)
        {
            res[i]=min(res[i-j*j]+1,res[i]);
        }
    }
    return res[n];
    }

Hi, @wei_fy. If you do not use static variables, your running time is just what it should be :-) For the advantage of static variables, Stefan has given enough explanations in the above comments.

W

Get it! Thank you so much!

O

oh, @Stefan originally I thought my dp methods was just too slow, so I got the TLE. I didn't even think of reusing the dp vectors! So happy to meet static again in this case! I also read your mathematical solutions, thanks for keeping posting what you know and sharing what you think!

H

I think this is kind of cheating.

O

but it's nice to point it out in an interview

Hi Stefan,

I came up with the same algorithm
    Can we estimate the runtime of the algorithm? It looks like that at each iteration we compute sqrt(i) operations... So it would be sum i*sqrt(i), i=1 to n.

Solved it by using https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=sum+i*sqrt(i),+i%3D1+to+n

It seems like the sum converges to the n-th harmonic number elevated to -(3/2). What does it tell us about the overall complexity? What are your thoughts on this? Thanks. You're the best

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.