Java O(n log n) time, O(1) space with Explanation

Y

Idea is we need to find if there exist a position in sorted array, that citation[i] >= citation.length - i.

for example:

2 5 6 9 10 12 15
    7 6 5 4 3  2  1   <=== reverse index, tells how many elements(inclusive) to the right.

in order to find the h-index. we need to find if there exist a position that citation[i] >= reverse index.

So, like
    check elements 2 and after >= 7? --> No
    check elements 5 and after >= 6? --> No
    check elements 6 and after >= 5? --> Yes! This is the max "h" value, we return this 5.

Code:

public class Solution {
        public int hIndex(int[] citations) {
            if(citations == null || citations.length == 0)
                return 0;

Arrays.sort(citations);
            for(int i = 0; i < citations.length; i++){
                if(citations[i] >= citations.length - i)
                    return citations.length - i;
            }
            return 0;
        }
    }

Time Complexity O(n log n) + O(n) = O(n log n)
    Space Complexity O(1)

S

Hi,

I came across a situation: given citations = [3, 1, 7, 8, 9]. What will be the answer be?

According to the definition of h-index on Wikipedia: "A scientist has index h if h of his/her N papers have at least h citations each, and the other N − h papers have no more than h citations each."

When h=3, the definition will be "A scientist has index 3 if 3 of his/her 5 papers have at least 3 citations each, and the other 2 papers have no more than 3 citations each." Obviously wrong....

When h=4, the definition will be "A scientist has index 4 if 4 of his/her 5 papers have at least 4 citations each, and the other 1 papers have no more than 4 citations each." Obviously wrong....

When h=2, the definition will be "A scientist has index 2 if 2 of his/her 5 papers have at least 2 citations each, and the other 3 papers have no more than 3 citations each." Obviously wrong....

Y

Thanks for the followed comment. in your "h = 3" statement, I think that's right. there are 3 papers which is [7 8 9] have at least 3 citations and the other 2 paper which is [1 3] DO NOT have MORE THAN 3 citations each. May I know what is your reason claiming that this statement is obviously wrong?

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.