Using KMP's LPS (longest-prefix-suffix) computation to solve in linear O(N) time

S
    class Solution {
    private:

// the straightforward solution is in O(N^2); using KMP's preprocessing algorithm,
        // we can reduce this to O(N)
        int longest_palindrome_prefix(const string &s) const
        {
            /**
             * The LPS computation can determine, at any given index i in a string S, the maximum suffix length that
             * make up a suffix equal to the prefix. For example: S = "acexxxaceyyy": at S[6], S[7], and S[8] will be
             * marked with "1", "2", and "3" respectively because "a", "ac", and "ace" at this points in the string
             * make up substrings whose suffixes equal to the string's prefix. This computation can be done in one
             * linear scan of the string in O(N) time, using a secondary integer array in O(N) space.
             * For our purpose in finding the longest palindrome prefix of a string, the idea is simple:
             * if we reverse the string, then appending it to the original string (after a special marker),
             * the palindromic prefix will show up at the end of the compound string! If we then apply the above algorithm,
             * by the end of the linear scan, we'll have a number that correspond to the maximum suffix length of
             * the entire compound string, which correspond to a suffix = prefix. And since a palindromic prefix, when
             * reversed and appended, will show up as the suffix, we will conveniently have computed the maximum
             * length of the palindromic prefix!
             * For example: consider the string S = "abbaaax". The longest palindrome prefix is "abba".
             * 1. Create S' = "abbaaax#xaaabba"
             * 2. Compute LPS: lps[] = { 0,  0,  0,  1,  1,  1,  0,  0,  0,  1,  1,  1,  2,  3,  4 }
             *            from  S'[] = {'a','b','b','a','a','a','x','#','x','a','a','a','b','b','a'}
             * 3. The last element of LPS, 4, is our longest palindrome prefix length!
             */
            string kmprev = s;
            std::reverse(kmprev.begin(), kmprev.end());
            string kmp = s + "#" + kmprev;

vector<int> lps(kmp.size(), 0);   // lps[i] = longest suffix length for substring kmp[0..i] where the suffix == prefix
            for (int i = 1; i < (int)lps.size(); ++i)
            {
                int prev_idx = lps[i - 1];

while (prev_idx > 0 && kmp[i] != kmp[prev_idx])
                {
                    prev_idx = lps[prev_idx - 1];
                }

lps[i] = prev_idx + (kmp[i] == kmp[prev_idx] ? 1 : 0);
            }

// after KMP's LPS preprocessing, the last index of the LPS array will contain the longest palindrome prefix' length!
            return lps[lps.size() - 1];
        }

public:

string shortestPalindrome(const string &s)
        {
            //
            // The idea is simple: find the longest palindrome that prefixes the string S.
            // The shortest palindrome we can make is by reversing the rest of the string S, and then
            // prepending it to the string.
            //
            // The trick is finding that longest palindrome prefix in an efficient manner.
            //
            if (s.size() <= 1)
            {
                return string(s);
            }

int k = longest_palindrome_prefix(s);

string the_rest = s.substr(k);
            std::reverse(the_rest.begin(), the_rest.end());

return the_rest + s;
        }

};

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.