Could someone confirm if this is O(n^2)?

C

Although it has 3 loops, the innermost while loop does not reset its loop variable everytime. Here is my logic:

I keep 3 pointers n1p, n2p, n3p.

n2p is the pointer for the middle number, and increments by 1 in outermost loop.

For each n2p, I fix a n1p such that n1p < n2p. This increments in the inner loop. Already we have reached O(n^2).

Now comes the important part. For the very first n1p iteration (n1p==0), I start n3p from the rightmost position. I move it left until the desired condition w/ target is hit. However, n3p does not reset in the inner for/while loop for future iterations of n1p. So as n1p keeps moving right every inner iteration, n3p moves a few positions to the left as well. Since n1p and n2p are fixed, the number of combos for this pair of (n1p, n2p) is the difference between n2p and n3p.

class Solution {
    public:
        int threeSumSmaller(vector<int>& nums, int target) {
            int combos = 0;
            std::sort(nums.begin(), nums.end());
            for (int n2p=0; n2p<nums.size(); n2p++) {       //this is the middle number
                int n3p = nums.size()-1;                    //Don't reset this in inner loop! Important.
                for (int n1p=0; n1p < n2p && n2p < n3p; n1p++) {//this is the first number
                    while(n3p>n2p && ((nums[n1p] + nums[n2p]) >= (target - nums[n3p]))) {
                        n3p--;
                    }
                    combos += (n3p - n2p);
                }
            }
            return combos;
        }
    };

Yeah, that's O(n^2). Interesting variation, to use the middle index for the main loop. I think most people use the first one, and I use the last one (because I then need nums.size() only once).

I'd just prefer index variables i,j,k, as they're really standard and are also used in the problem statement.

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.