256ms Java one-line solution

S
    public class Solution {
        public int addDigits(int num) {
            return (num - 1) % 9 + 1;
        }
    }

Great solution! BTW, how do you see the running time. I try to click the "More Details" but it does not open the performance page.

There's a bug on the "More details" button, I'll fix it soon. Meanwhile you can click on the "Accepted" to view more details. Yes, the status text is actually a link.

S

"Accepted" seems not working either. I saw my running time after I clicked on the "Submissions" on the top of the page

Great solution! Well, it seems that Pythoners will not be able to use such a nice code since (0 - 1) % 9 = 8 in Python and so the result for input 0 will be wrong.

I have another 1-line solution, a little longer than yours. Well, I think your code is more elegant :-)

class Solution { 
    public:
        int addDigits(int num) {
            return num - (num - 1) / 9 * 9; 
        } 
    };

Update: Well, this code is also not applicable in Python since Python decides -1 / 9 to be -1...

S

Well it doesn't take much extra time in python adding "if num == 0" :-)
    But in Java adding "if (num == 0)" increase the running time from 256ms to 292ms, even a bit slower than straightforward solution...(284ms)

Yeah, the if for 0 can also be condensed into one line :-)

class Solution:
        # @param {integer} num 
        # @return {integer}
        def addDigits(self, num):
            return (num - 1) % 9 + 1 if num else 0

P

Can someone explain this answer please, I don't understand why it works. Thank you guys.

Hi, primenumber123. Try to work through from num = 1 to num = 20, and you will see that the result is just a periodical reoccurrence of the sequences 1, 2, ..., 9. So you just have to code that regularity.

P

Thank you very much!

S

I suppose the only tricky thing occurs when adding 1 to ...xyz9 to ...xy(z+1)0. Say addDigits(...xyz9) = n. If z < 9 then obviously addDigits(...xy(z+1)0) = addDigits(n + 1). If z == 9 and y < 9 then ...xyz9 becomes ...x(y+1)00 and recursively we always get the same result.

Or one of these:

return num and (num - 1) % 9 + 1
            return num and (num % 9 or 9)
            return num % 9 or num and 9

Wow, Stefan. You are really a master in Python :-)

L
    This post is deleted!

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.