Why do I get Runtime error?

W

In "Remove Linked List Elements", I use double pointer to delete an element like how it's done in two star pointer.
    My code is:

void deleteNode(ListNode* node) {
           ListNode **curr = &node;
           ListNode *temp = *curr;
           (*curr) = (*curr)->next;
           delete temp;
    }

But I get runtime error for the following input:

Last executed input:
    [0,0,0], node at index 0 (node.val = 0)

I'm quite confused. Does anyone know why?

M

Why do you keep it a secret which test case you fail? Why make it hard for others to help you?

Anyway... your code does exactly the same as the following (*), except in an extremely convoluted way.

delete node;
    }

This of course can't work. You can't just delete an element in the list. The previous node will then point to an invalid address. This is asking for a crash.

(*) At least if node is a valid pointer (not null), which is the case in the problem here.

W

Sorry, this is my first time to ask a question. I have modified my question. But I still don't understand.

You mean (*curr) = (*curr)->next; has no effect. But why it works in the link I added?
    Would you like to explain more?

M

Let's reduce this step by step.

ListNode **curr = &node;
       ListNode *temp = *curr;
       (*curr) = (*curr)->next;
       delete temp;
    }

Well, curr is &node, so *curr is *&node which is just node. So let's get rid of curr:

ListNode *temp = node;
       node = node->next;
       delete temp;
    }

Setting node = node->next; has no effect, as that just changes your local variable. And you're not even using that variable afterwards. Let's remove that line.

ListNode *temp = node;
       delete temp;
    }

Since temp is just another name for node, let's get rid of it.

delete node;
    }

Now, why does that other solution work? Because there the ListNode** points to a pointer that's actually part of the list - either the head pointer or the next field of a list node. Not just to an outside variable like in your case here. And it returns head, that's how the caller gets to know about it if the head node got deleted.

That other solution should btw also delete properly. It's leaking memory.

W

I understand. Thank you for your kind reply.

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.