}

void swap(int[] arr, int i, int j) {
    		int temp = arr[i];
    		arr[i] = arr[j];
    		arr[j] = temp;
    	}
    }

Explanation:

1. Partition the array into 3 parts (instead of normal 2 parts that is used for QuickSort, etc). Part 1 has all the numbers less than pivot, part 2 has all the number equal to pivot and part 3 has all the numbers greater than pivot
    2. If length of part2 is greater than n/3, we add that element.
    3. Now, recursively call partition of part1 and part3 only if its size is greater than n/3

I think this solution can be generalized to get all the numbers with more than n/k occurrences for any given k.

This solution does pass all the test cases. However, I am not sure if it is indeed a linear time solution as well. Would appreciate comments on its running time.

O

if applied to n/k, I don't think it works well. There are so many choices of pivot for n/k situation.

M

My solution is similar and I think it's similar to QuickSort and QuickSelect. Worst time will be O(n^2) but average time should be indeed be considered to be like QuickSelect - (O(n).

W

@bu.will.9 : pivot is only for partition. It can be randomly selected to be any of the element between begin to end. Here I am choosing the end element to be pivot. Despite any pivot chosen for partition, it does not affect the main logic

O

I think you're right. Suppose the worst case, 1,2,3,... m,m,m... where m appears more than n/3 times. Then each level of recursion will cost n, n-1, n-2, ..., n-m-1 times to put every element to its proper partition, while there should be n-m-1 level of recursion. So I think it should be O(n^2) for worst case. The best case is O(n) definitely.
    So maybe the time complexity will be between O(n) to O(n^2).

M

Time complexity in O(x) is O(n^2) because we usually look at the worst case to nenote the O-Notation.

But Quicksort is technically also O(n^2) - in the real word though it is in average O(n log(n)) and similarly Quiclselect is in average O(n).

So I think (without proof) the algorithm shown in this thread is technicially O(n^2) but in average (amortized) it should be O(n).

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.