One-Liner in Ruby

Recursively remove duplicates from the rest of the list, then possibly drop the head (if it's a duplicate of the value after it).

Ruby:

def delete_duplicates(h)
        h && (h.next = delete_duplicates(h.next)) && h.next.val == h.val ? h.next : h
    end

Bad C++ versions:

return h && (h->next = deleteDuplicates(h->next)) && h->next->val == h->val ? h->next : h;

As @shawnyi pointed out, that leaks memory. So delete:

if (h && (h->next = deleteDuplicates(h->next)) && h->next->val == h->val) delete h, h = h->next; return h;

As @drbombe pointed out, I shouldn't access h->next after deleting h. Not sure what I was thinking. I certainly knew that. I guess I just focused on the algorithm and didn't care as long as it gets accepted (which it does).

For a proper version, see @drbombe's solution below.

T

aaaaaaaaaaaawesome

S

have you deleted the relative node? It seems there exists memory leakage, am I right? = =!

@shawnyi Yes, you're right, I was sloppy there. I just wanted to show the technique, but I shouldn't have ignored the memory leaks. I updated it now. Thanks.

D

@StefanPochmann You use h = h->next after delete h. Is it an undefined behavior?

@drbombe Uh, yeah, that doesn't look right. No idea what I was thinking. I'll add a note, thanks.

D

@StefanPochmann How about these codes based on your idea.

class Solution {
    	public:
    	ListNode* deleteDuplicates(ListNode* head) {
    		if (head && (head->next = deleteDuplicates(head->next)) && head->next->val == head->val){
    			auto oldhead=head;
    			head = head->next;
    			delete oldhead;
    		}
    		return head;
    	}
    };

@drbombe Yes, that looks good. Or at least correct. I just really wanted it to be a one-liner :-)

I now took the focus off of C++ and put it on the Ruby version instead. That's much better anyway. I think I wrote my C++ solution first and just focused on the algorithm, that's how this happened.

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.