}else if(j<k){
    			lo=j+1;
    		}else{
    			break;
    		}
    	}
    	return nums[k];
    }

well ,it's a classic algorithm.some modification is added to find the kth largest element.

S

It is a classic algorithm all right, but why do you think its running time is O(nlogn)? Can you prove it?

R

cause I use the idea of partition-exchange,so the runtime complexity should be the same.wiki said so! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quicksort#Formal_analysis

S

"Because I use the idea of partition-exchange,so the runtime complexity should be the same O(nlogn)" This logic does not hold. Partition-exchange itself is an O(N) operation, therefore, a program that uses partition-exchange could take at least O(N) time, but can be also arbitrarily high. So you can't say the running time is O(NlogN) is BECAUSE YOU USE Part-Ex.
    Your program is not O(NlogN), but rather O(N). Think about it: in the 1st iteration, you do part-ex in T(N) time, and reduce the range by half. In the 2nd iteration, you do part-ex only on T(N/2), then reduce the range by another half. So in the end. You program takes T(N) + T(N/2) + T(N/4) + ... = T(2*N), which is O(N).

Please check the wiki page of 'Quickselect' instead of 'Quicksort'.

R

yeah,u r right.I didn't think it carefully enough at the first,and it is a Quickselect rather than Quicksort. Much appreciate your constructive answer,I mean that.

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.