Can someone help me figure out the dead loop? It runs forever...

public static ArrayList<ArrayList<Integer>> permute(int[] num) {
            ArrayList<ArrayList<Integer>> result=new ArrayList<ArrayList<Integer>>();

int len=num.length;
            boolean[] boo=new boolean[len];
            ArrayList<Integer> list=new ArrayList<Integer>();

return permutation(result, list,num,boo,0);
        }

public static ArrayList<ArrayList<Integer>> permutation(ArrayList<ArrayList<Integer>> result,ArrayList<Integer> list, int[] num,boolean[] boo,int index){   
    	if(index==num.length){  //when index ==length, every number has added to the list, so add to result and return
    	    result.add(list);
    	    return result;
    	}

for(int i=0;i<boo.length;i++){
            if(boo[i]==false){
                ArrayList<Integer> copyList=new ArrayList<Integer>();  //copy ArrayList
                for(int j=0;j<list.size();i++)
                    copyList.add(list.get(j));

boolean[] booCopy=new boolean[boo.length];               //copy boolean array
                for(int k=0;k<boo.length;k++)
                    booCopy[k]=boo[k];

copyList.add(num[i]);                                  //add a number to the list
                booCopy[i]=true;                                         //set that position to visited
                permutation(result,copyList,num,booCopy,index+1);    //pass the copied array and boolean to next recursive call
            }
        }

return result;
    }

M

Your problem occurs in this segment of code, on lines 19-20 of what you've provided.

for(int j=0;j<list.size();i++)

You are incrementing i, not j. Since j is not increasing, it runs infinitely until you run out of memory.

Switch to one of the following corrections:

for(int j=0;j<list.size();j++)

while(copyList.size()<list.size())
      copyList.add(list.get(copyList.size()));

ArrayList<Integer> copyList = list.clone();

copyList.addAll(list);

There are other ways to copy an ArrayList, but I just added a few to get my answer length long enough to allow submission.

S

Thank you, Mike. You answered my questions every time. It passes after I change that j to i.

G

good point. i am also working on this point

M

Just a few off topic suggestions:

1. To copy the array list, you can also pass "list" as an argument to the ArrayList constructor when are creating a new array list. This is another way of copying.
    2. If you do booCopy[i]=false after the recursive call then there will no need to copy booCopy and pass it around. Essentially, you are marking the element at index i before the recursive call and unmarking it after the recursive call.

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.