5 Lines Easy DP solution in C++

S

Given in problem that if we choose N then N-1 and N+1 should be deleted. In other way it means if we want to pick i , then maximum sum till 'i' will be maximum of('sum till i-2 + frequency of ith element * i' ,'sum till i-1'). This gives easy DP expression as
    *'dp[i] = max(dp[i-1],dp[i-2]+(cnt[i]i))'

where array 'cnt[]' holds count of 'i' in array 'nums' . i.e 'i' will contribute 'i*cnt[i]' in total sum;
    and dp[i] holds maximum sum till i

class Solution {
    public:
        int deleteAndEarn(vector<int>& nums) {
            vector<int> cnt(10009,0);
            int n = nums.size();

for(int i=0;i<n;i++)cnt[nums[i]]++;// store the frequency of i'th element of nums in array cnt

vector<int> dp(10009,0);

dp[1] = cnt[1]*1;// as maximum sum till 1 will be cnt[1] i.e frequency of 1 in nums[]

for(int i=2;i<=10000;i++)
            {
                dp[i]=max(dp[i-1],dp[i-2]+(cnt[i]*i));//maximum sum till i'th element according to above dp expression
            }
            return dp[10000];
        }
    };

Um... how is that "5 Lines"?

S

@ManuelP
    if you dont count function signature, variable declaration , its of 5 lines only

line 1: for(int i=0;i<n;i++)cnt[nums[i]]++;
    line 2: dp[1] = cnt[1]*1;
    line 3: for(int i=2;i<=10000;i++)
    line 4: dp[i]=max(dp[i-1],dp[i-2]+(cnt[i]*i));
    line 5: return dp[10000];

just count the algorithmic steps only

@shaeli Hmm, not counting the signature is common (regarded as part of the question, not part of the actual solution), but not counting your own variable declarations (and even non-default definitions!) is very uncommon and unexpected, so this is rather misleading...

Btw, better don't format everything as code, makes your explanation hard to read, especially the need to scroll it sideways.

Oh and you're accessing dp[i-2] even when i = 1, i.e., dp[-1]. That's not good.

S

@shaeli said in 5 Lines Easy DP solution in C++:

Given in problem that if we choose N then N-1 and N+1 should be deleted. In other way it means if we want to pick i , then maximum sum till 'i' will be maximum of('sum till i-2 + frequency of ith element * i' ,'sum till i-1'). This gives easy DP expression as
    *'dp[i] = max(dp[i-1],dp[i-2]+(cnt[i]i))'

where array 'cnt[]' holds count of 'i' in array 'nums' . i.e 'i' will contribute 'i*cnt[i]' in total sum;
    and dp[i] holds maximum sum till i

class Solution {
    public:
        int deleteAndEarn(vector<int>& nums) {
            vector<int> cnt(10009,0);
            int n = nums.size();

for(int i=0;i<n;i++)cnt[nums[i]]++;// store the frequency of i'th element of nums in array cnt

vector<int> dp(10009,0);

dp[1] = cnt[1]*1;// as maximum sum till 1 will be cnt[1] i.e frequency of 1 in nums[]

for(int i=2;i<=10000;i++)
            {
                dp[i]=max(dp[i-1],dp[i-2]+(cnt[i]*i));//maximum sum till i'th element according to above dp expression
            }
            return dp[10000];
        }
    };

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.