Time Limit Exceeded

D

I have implemented what seems to me a good solution for this question. I know it is not the most efficient, which is what is giving me the TLE. I have tried to use an if statementt instead of the second for loop, which uses j< words.length as the conditional and just increment j before this if statement closes. Inside this if statement would be the checkers for each word. If anybody can alter this code itself to be better I would appreciate it. Thanks

class Solution {
    public List<List<Integer>> palindromePairs(String[] words) {
                //base check, if words is empty, return null
                if(words.length==0) return null;
            //storing the solution pairs
            List<List<Integer>> result = new ArrayList<List<Integer>>();
            //go through the array. Have j be 1 ahead of i to start
            for(int i =0; i <words.length;i++){
                //always have j 1 ahead, so when we move i ahead, j moves too. As no need to check if the previous words before i are a pair with it, as thye would have alraedy been tested!
                for(int j =i+1; j<words.length;j++ ){
                    //now check if these 2 words make a palindrome, if so need to make a list out of them, and then add into result.
                    if(palindromeCheck(words[i],words[j])){
                        List<Integer> pals = new ArrayList<Integer>();//need to recreate it everytime so only 2 are in it when adding into result
                        pals.add(i);//make sure ot add in the correct way, NOTE adding in the indices, not the words themselves
                        pals.add(j);
                        //now add into result
                        result.add(pals);

} 
                    if(palindromeCheck(words[j],words[i])){//checking the other way to pair just in case
                        List<Integer> pals = new ArrayList<Integer>();//need to recreate it everytime so only 2 are in it when adding into result
                        pals.add(j);//make sure to add in the correct way, but it is opposite this time
                        pals.add(i); //NOTE adding in the indices, not the words themselves
                        //now add into result
                        result.add(pals);
                    }
                }
            }//once i have gone through all of the words, just return the result list
             return result;
        }
        //the private helper method: it checks if something is a palindrome
        private boolean palindromeCheck(String words,String words2){
            //first concatenate them 
            String tester = words+words2;
            int lower =0 ;//start at beginning
            int upper = tester.length()-1;//start at end

while(lower<upper){//now go thru and test if it is a palindrome, condition: if they cross then we have a palindrome!
                if(tester.charAt(lower) != tester.charAt(upper)){//if they are ever notequal, then it is not a palindrome
                    return false;//return false
                }else{//else they two were equal, and keep moving closer
                    lower++;
                    upper--;
                }
            }return true;//if we make it out of the while loop, then we know it is a palindrome! So return it to the main method above
        }

}

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.