Acceptable JAVA solution with explaination

J

It takes me some time to understand this problem, after look at the top solution. I figured out how to solve it, Thanks to @compton_scatter, here is just some explaination of his solution:

1. preRun count the same item happend before (let say you have 0011, preRun = 2 when you hit the first 1, means there are two zeros before first '1')
    2. curRun count the current number of items (let say you have 0011, curRun = 2 when you hit the second 1, means there are two 1s so far)
    3. Whenever item change (from 0 to 1 or from 1 to 0), preRun change to curRun, reset curRun to 1 (store the curRun number into PreRun, reset curRun)
    4. Every time preRun >= curRun means there are more 0s before 1s, so could do count++ . (This was the tricky one, ex. 0011 when you hit the first '1', curRun = 1, preRun = 2, means 0s number is larger than 1s number, so we could form "01" at this time, count++ . When you hit the second '1', curRun = 2, preRun = 2, means 0s' number equals to 1s' number, so we could form "0011" at this time, that is why count++)
    class Solution {
    public int countBinarySubstrings(String s) {
    if (s == null || s.length() == 0) return 0;
            int preRun = 0;
            int curRun =1;
            int count = 0;
            for (int i = 1; i < s.length(); i++){
                if (s.charAt(i) == s.charAt(i-1)) curRun++;
                else {
                    preRun = curRun;
                    curRun = 1;
                }
                if (preRun >= curRun) count++;
            }
            return count;
        }
    }

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.