Iterate over time vs. iterate over position

F

There are a bunch of solutions for this problem, which in general fall into two categories: process the data day by day or process the data slot by slot. These are actually the two perspectives for solving this type of problems. The former is equivalent to iterating over time while the latter equivalent to iterating over position (the (time, position) combination can be replaced by other duos, such as (w, h) in lc354 , or (t, d) in lc630).

Since the input array is given in terms of time (i.e., data are arranged in ascending days), it's most natural to go with the first perspective, so its solutions will be explained first. Then we will take a different view of the problem and see how we can obtain better solutions by switching to the second perspective.

I -- Iterate over time

For notational purpose, let's denote the input array as flowers with length of n. As shown in the problem description, flowers[i] stands for the position of the flower that will bloom in the (i + 1)-th day. Now given an integer k, we are required to output the first day such that there exists two flowers in the status of blooming, and the number of flowers between them is k and these flowers are not blooming.

Side notes:

1. The array index i starts from 0 while the count of the day starts from 1, so we have the (i + 1)-th day notation.

2. Though not specified explicitly in the problem description, if there are multiple days that satisfy the above condition, we are expected to return the first such day.

Per our definition above, for this perspective, the flowers array will be scanned linearly from left to right, corresponding to iterating over time. Assume we are currently on the (i + 1)-th day. Let xc = flowers[i], xl = xc - (k + 1), xr = xc + (k + 1), it's straightforward to show that if any of the following two statements is true, the current day will satisfy the aforementioned condition (and vice versa):

1. xl is a valid slot; the flower at xl is blooming; all flowers between xl and xc are not blooming.

2. xr is a valid slot; the flower at xr is blooming; all flowers between xc and xr are not blooming.

Take statement 1 as an example (analyses of statement 2 are similar). Checking whether xl is a valid slot and whether the flower at xl is blooming is easy. Since if a flower is in blooming status, it must have been visited before the current day. We may maintain a collection of the positions of visited flowers and see if xl belongs to the collection. The tricky part is how to tell whether those flowers between xl and xc are blooming or not.

The naive way would be testing these flowers one by one, which will yield at best the O(nk) solution. This, to no surprise, will be met with TLE. Therefore we have to come up with a relatively faster way to do the range testing. Fortunately there is one observation to our advantage: the order of the positions of visited flowers in the collection does not matter so we are free to arrange them in a way that range testing can be done easily. And a naive try would be sorting, which turns out to be working pretty nicely.

So assume the collection is sorted in ascending order according to the positions of the visited flowers. We have multiple ways to check if any flower between xl and xc is blooming. For example, we can find the first blooming flower to the left of xc and check if it is the same as xl; or we can count the total numbers of flowers in blooming status whose position is no more than xl and no more than xc, respectively, and see if the former is equal to the latter minus one, and so forth. All these can be done in O(logn) time, a big improvement from the naive linear scan method.

One more point worth noting is that the collection is expanding as more and more flowers are visited (i.e., the searching space is dynamic). So we have to strike a balance between searching and insertion, which prompts use of data structures like balanced binary search tree (BST) or binary indexed tree (BIT). Here are the two corresponding solutions, both of which run at O(nlogn) time with O(n) space.

1. BST-based solution

For this problem, we don't have to design our own balanced BST. Instead we can take advantage of the built-in TreeSet of Java (or equivalent type in other languages), thanks to the fact that there are no duplicates of the positions in the collection. The range testing can be done using the first method I mentioned above: find the first blooming flower to the left of xc and check if it is the same as xl. Here is the Java program:

public int kEmptySlots(int[] flowers, int k) {
        TreeSet<Integer> set = new TreeSet<>();

for (int i = 0; i < flowers.length; i++) {
            int xc = flowers[i], xl = xc - (k + 1), xr = xc + (k + 1);

Integer l = set.lower(xc);
            if (l != null && l == xl) return i + 1;

Integer r = set.higher(xc);
            if (r != null && r == xr) return i + 1;

set.add(xc);
        }

return -1;
    }

2. BIT-based solution

Here we need two arrays: one to keep track of visited flowers, the other to serve as the BIT so we can count the total numbers of flowers in blooming status whose position is no more than xl, xc and xr, respectively. Here is the Java program:

int n = flowers.length;
        boolean[] visited = new boolean[n + 1];
        int[] bit = new int[n + 1];

for (int i = 0; i < n; i++) {
            int xc = flowers[i], xl = xc - (k + 1), xr = xc + (k + 1);

insert(bit, xc); 
            visited[xc] = true;

int xc_cnt = search(bit, xc), xl_cnt = xc_cnt - 1, xr_cnt = xc_cnt + 1;

if (xl > 0 && visited[xl] && search(bit, xl) == xl_cnt) return i + 1;
            if (xr <= n && visited[xr] && search(bit, xr) == xr_cnt) return i + 1;
        }

return -1;
    }

private int search(int[] bit, int i) {
        int sum = 0;
        for (; i > 0; i -= i & -i) sum += bit[i];
        return sum;
    }

private void insert(int[] bit, int i) {
        for (; i < bit.length; i += i & -i) bit[i] += 1;
    }

Final remarks for this perspective: it is relatively easy to come up with O(nlogn) solutions, if you have experience with BST and BIT before, though O(n)solution is possible. Next we will shift our focus and take the other perspective to see if we can further improve the time performance here.

II -- Iterate over position

For this perspective, we need to first transform our input array flowers into another array days so that days[i] represents the day on which the flower at position i + 1 will bloom (note again index i starts from 0). Now given an integer k, we are required to output the first day such that there exists two flowers in the status of blooming, and the number of flowers between them is k and these flowers are not blooming.

What is the difference between this perspective and the previous one? The answer is: all the candidate ranges of position of the flowers are readily known and are arranged in ascending order. Let [j, i] represent flowers from position j + 1 to position i + 1 (both inclusive). Then [j, i] is a candidate range if j = i - (k + 1). This is because if we can determine that all flowers from positions j + 2 to i will bloom after both flowers at position j + 1 and position i + 1, let d = max(days[i], days[j]), then d will be a day that satisfies the aforementioned condition (though may not be the first such day) and thus qualifies as a candidate day for the final answer. We just need to choose the smallest one from all these candidate days.

So how do we check if all flowers from positions j + 2 to i will bloom after both flowers at position j + 1 and i + 1? The solution is simple: of all the flowers from positions j + 2 to i, find the one that will bloom first and denote the day on which it blooms as d_min, then compare d_min with d. If d_min > d, then d is a valid candidate day as specified above; otherwise it is not. Again, we will have multiple ways to implement this idea.

1. PriorityQueue-based solution

A straightforward way to keep track of minimum blooming day of the flowers from positions j + 2 to i would be using a priority queue. Also since the positions are changing as the candidate ranges are shifting, the priority queue should store the positions of the flowers instead of blooming days so that we can get rid of invalid positions easily. Here is the Java program, which runs at O(nlogn) time with O(n) space:

int n = flowers.length, res = n + 1;
        int[] days = new int[n];

days[flowers[i] - 1] = i + 1;
        }

PriorityQueue<Integer> pq = new PriorityQueue<>(new Comparator<Integer>() {
            public int compare(Integer i, Integer j) {
                return Integer.compare(days[i], days[j]);
            }
        });

for (int i = 0, j = i - (k + 1); i < n; i++, j++) {
            while (!pq.isEmpty() && pq.peek() <= j) pq.poll();

if (j >= 0 && (pq.isEmpty() || days[pq.peek()] > Math.max(days[i], days[j]))) {
                res = Math.min(res, Math.max(days[i], days[j]));
            }

pq.offer(i);
        }

return (res > n ? -1 : res);
    }

2. Deque-based solution

It turned out that the blooming days of the flowers within the candidate range can be maintained in descending order using a double-ended queue (deque), The key here is to get rid of positions with blooming days larger than that of the current position before adding it to the deque from the left (this is because as long as the current position is in the deque, the position with minimum blooming day cannot be these removed positions). Each position will be pushed into and popped out from the deque once, so the overall time complexity will be O(n). Here is the Java program, where I used an array to serve as the deque with l and r as its left and right boundaries (the built-in Deque seems to be slower than this home-made version):

int n = flowers.length, l = n, r = n - 1, res = n + 1;
        int[] days = new int[n];
        int[] deque = new int[n];

}

for (int i = 0, j = i - (k + 1); i < n; i++, j++) {
            while (l <= r && deque[r] <= j) r--;

if (j >= 0 && (r < l || days[deque[r]] > Math.max(days[i], days[j]))) {
                res = Math.min(res, Math.max(days[i], days[j]));
            }

while (l <= r && days[i] <= days[deque[l]]) l++; // Get rid of larger days before adding

deque[--l] = i;
        }

}

3. No-queue solution

To see how we can get this no-queue solution (more info here), let's take a look back at the two queue-based solutions above. The downside of those solutions is that we have to check all candidate ranges one by one, which turns out to be unnecessary. For example, if [j, i] is the current candidate range, min is the position corresponding to the minimum blooming day d_min in the queue such that d_min < days[j], then all candidate ranges [j', i'] with j < j' < min can be skipped, because the blooming day of the left boundary days[j'] will always be greater than d_min and thus cannot be valid ranges.

So instead of testing all the candidate ranges one by one, we set up a target range and try to validate it by doing a linear scan, then update the target range according to the validation result. In the following Java program, the target range is denoted as [l, r], with l and r as its left and right boundaries. di, dl and dr are the blooming days for position i + 1, 'l + 1' and r + 1, respectively. To validate the target range, we need to compare di with dl and dr. The target range will be invalid if di < dl or di < dr, and we can skip some of the candidate ranges to reset the target range to [i, i + k + 1]. On the other hand, if the target range is valid, i will eventually be equal to r (or di will be equal to dr), and we need to update the final result (to find the minimum day) as well as set up a new target range. The two cases can be combined into one as shown below:

int n = flowers.length, res = n + 1;
        int[] days = new int[n];

}

for (int i = 1, l = 0, r = k + 1; i < n && r < n; i++) {
            int di = days[i], dl = days[l], dr = days[r];

if (di < dl || di <= dr) {
                if (di == dr) res = Math.min(res, Math.max(dl, dr)); // target range is valid so update final result
                l = i;
                r = i + (k + 1);
            }
        }

}

Final remarks: this type of problems typically exhibit "symmetric" features in the input data set. For this problem, we have equivalent perspectives of the input data as either flowers or days. Similar situations can be found for lc354 and lc630. However, in the presence of extra restrictions, this symmetry may be broken and solutions may favor one perspective over the other. In such cases, it would be advisable to make attempts from both perspectives and choose the one that suits you best.

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.