Python with explanations

In my code, I am computing the survival rate for all grids on the board after K steps. The rates are updated step by step. For each step, probs[i][j] should be the sum of the rates in the possible eight grids divided by 8.

Note that here I wrote a lengthy list comprehension in the for loop. This is not to show off. If I didn't do so, I will have to create a new 2D list, store values temporarily, and deepcopy that back to probs which is too much work.

probs = [[(1 if i<N and j<N else 0) for j in xrange(N+2)] for i in xrange(N+2)]
    for t in xrange(K):
        probs = [[ (0.125 * 
                   sum(probs[i+a*m1][j+(3-a)*m2] for a in [1,2] for m1 in [-1,1] for m2 in [-1,1]) 
                   if i<N and j<N else 0) 
                   for j in xrange(N+2)] for i in xrange(N+2)]
    return probs[r][c]

Another interesting idea given by @StefanPochmann is here, in which he only computes for probs[r][c], but in the way that the probability distribution of the knight at each step is computed.

I am curious if there is a mathematical solution to this problem using martingales or random walk. If you see one, please don't hesitate to @ me.

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.