Straightforward Python

W

It not stated in the question but you can assume there is not invalid operations, such as C when the points history is empty, it still passed.

class Solution(object):
        def calPoints(self, ops):
            # Time: O(n)
            # Space: O(n)
            history = []
            for op in ops:
                if op == 'C':
                    history.pop()
                elif op == 'D':
                    history.append(history[-1] * 2)
                elif op == '+':
                    history.append(history[-1] + history[-2])
                else:
                    history.append(int(op))
            return sum(history)

Hi @wanling, I came up with a very similar solution in C++. I agree with you, that it is more simple and efficient to calculate the sum after the entire string has been processed, rather than keeping track of a running total. Since the calculations for the running total could be all for nothing, if we end up invalidating all (or a significant portion) of the input using op "C".

Also, I've had great success rates following the advice I found from @StefanPochmann, specifically: "Knowing and using library functions can do miracles for you. It's fast to use them and they probably don't have bugs."
    ( http://www.stefan-pochmann.info/spots/tutorials/basic_programming/ ). I'd like to dedicate this solution to Stefan, thanks so much Stefan for continually sharing your quality of thought!

class Solution{
    public:
        int calPoints(vector<string>& ops){
            vector<int> r{};
            for (string& op : ops){
                if      (op=="C"){ r.pop_back(); }
                else if (op=="D"){ r.push_back(2*r.back()); }
                else if (op=="+"){ r.push_back(r.end()[-2]+r.end()[-1]); }
                else             { r.push_back(stoi(op)); }
            }
            return accumulate(r.begin(), r.end(), 0);
        }
    };

F

Good logic. But could be more preventive.

With operation C, you need to make sure your stack is not empty before doing pop. Otherwise, you will receive IndexError

With D and + operation, you can go out of range and get IndexError.

@Free9 thanks, I agree with you... actually I had a try/catch in my original code, I removed it to see if there were any invalid input test cases, and there are none. In a real-world use case, definitely I would have kept it. For LeetCode purposes, it can be distracting to add checks for invalid input.

T

Simply add two 0 at the left of the input list would solve this problem.

W

@tndstone That's a good idea! 😃

L

@wanling The question should state clearly that C won't appear when there's no valid points, and + won't appear when there're not enough valid points. I was worried about the same thing when I hit submit.

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.