Map Sum

Click here to see the full article post

I'm sorry, but why is "Every insert operation is O(K^2)" ?
    Isn't it K? It's just iterating one character at a time, and prefix += c is O(1).

J

@wavy
    prefix += c is O(1)
    No it isn't - Java string is immutable. On each concatenation a new string is created, copying character by character and then appending the new character c. Each concatenation is O(K) on average.

Edit: Same for the python example. I guess if the string is mutable (like in Ruby using << operator) then the time complexity should be O(K)

K

The Java code you provided in approach 3 has a class called TrieNode, which has an attribute "end" but I don't see any usage of it in your code. Why did you add it?

@jwgoh said in Map Sum:

No it isn't - Java string is immutable. On each concatenation a new string is created, copying character by character and then appending the new character c. Each concatenation is O(K) on average.

Thanks for let me know. I think you are right, and we need to have test case for string length above 10000 to give TLE

@kk636 It has been corrected. Thank you

K

@awice Sorry. I don't see any change to the code.

Nice explanation. Thank you!

S

I have the same confusion as raised before: why in approach 2, insert operation is O(K^2)? Isn't it O(K)?

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.