[Java/C++]Clean solution

The idea is to use cnt to record the length of the current continuous increasing subsequence which ends with nums[i], and use res to record the maximum cnt.

Java version:

public int findLengthOfLCIS(int[] nums) {
            int res = 0, cnt = 0;
            for(int i = 0; i < nums.length; i++){
                if(i == 0 || nums[i-1] < nums[i]) res = Math.max(res, ++cnt);
                else cnt = 1;
            }
            return res;
        }

C++ version:

int findLengthOfLCIS(vector<int>& nums) {
            int res = 0, cnt = 0;
            for(int i = 0; i < nums.size(); i++){
                if(i == 0 || nums[i-1] < nums[i]) res = max(res, ++cnt);
                else cnt = 1;
            }
            return res;
        }

Hope your advice!

@Hao-Cai For "very clean" I'd expect a few more space characters.

S
    This post is deleted!

@ManuelP Sorry... I have changed the title...

M

It's clean but the performance can be improved because res = max(res, ++cnt) should not be executed everytime in the loop. It should be called only when:

1. A new sequence started. E.G your "else".
    2. After the loop.

max can hurt the performance really.

@mazong1123 Thanks for your suggestion! Actually, I have considered this possible improvement. But, we cannot assume that there are more increasing sequence than Non-increasing sequence, right? For example of [2,2,2,2,2], max runs just once. But, if I write max in else, then it will run 4 times. So I just try to make the code look clean..

I

Hi,

Thanks for sharing code. When the following array is input to your code, it gives longest subsequence output as 7.
    [1, 5, 9, 13, 15, 17, 16, 18, 19, 21, 23, 25, 27, 20]

If you see then in the above mentioned array, the longest subsequence is from digit 19 till 27 with a difference of 2 between each element. This sums up to 5 characters. Based on it, your answer is wrong.

Though when this array is input on LeetCode editor to test the code, it shows 7 as result for the above mentioned array which I believe is also wrong output. How does the provided array accumulate to 7 continuous longest subsequence?

Thanks,
    Sal

N

@iprep said in [Java/C++]Clean solution:

[1, 5, 9, 13, 15, 17, 16, 18, 19, 21, 23, 25, 27, 20]
    The longest increasing subsequence is from 16 to 27 which is of length 7.

I

Thanks for the explanation. I got it. I thought that only difference between two consecutive numbers should be similar in longest subsequence. Got it and can modify my already existing algo accordingly.

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.