DP O(nm) Solution

S

The O(n^2m) DP solution to this problem is pretty obvious, where the transition function can be written as
    dp[i][j] = min{max{dp[k][j-1], subsum(k+1, i)}}, 0 <= k < i
    where dp[i][j] is the optimal result for splitting nums[:i+1] into j subarrays. And then for each i, j you would require O(n) time to find the k that minimizes dp[i][j], which makes this an overall O(n^2m) algorithm..

The key to reducing time complexity down to O(nm) is the monotonic properties that dp and subsum hold. Mathematically I found myself hard to explain this well, but intuitively, if the last subarray for dp[i][j] is nums[k], nums[k+1], ..., nums[i], then for dp[i][j+1] the last subarray would always be some nums[k+x], ..., nums[i], x>=0, because if you were cutting an array evenly into j + 1 continuous subarray, the last subarray would always be smaller than it would had been using one less cut. So every time you find a k that minimizes dp[i][j] you only need to consider subarray starting from or after k when computing dp[i][j+1].

class Solution(object):
        def splitArray(self, nums, m):
            n = len(nums)
            if not n:
                return 0
            pre_sum = [0] * (n + 1)
            for i in range(n):
                pre_sum[i + 1] = pre_sum[i] + nums[i]
            sub_sum = lambda i, j: pre_sum[j + 1] - pre_sum[i]

dp = [[0 for _ in range(m + 1)] for _ in range(n)]
            for i in range(n):
                dp[i][1] = pre_sum[i + 1]
                k = 0
                for j in range(2, min(m + 1, i + 2)):
                    while k < i - 1 and max(dp[k][j-1], sub_sum(k+1, i)) > max(dp[k+1][j-1], sub_sum(k+2,i)):
                        k += 1
                    dp[i][j] = max(dp[k][j - 1], sub_sum(k+1, i))
            return dp[n - 1][m]

Looks like your connection to LeetCode Discuss was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.